Advising & Registration

Spring 2020 Registration Reminders

  • Registration for spring opens on November 11, 2019. Your specific registration appointment time can be found in the Student Center under ENROLLMENT DATES.

  • Your adviser must clear you for registration. Please contact them to schedule a time to meet and discuss your spring schedule.

  • Check the BFA or MFA schedule for the most up-to-date list of Game Center classes, course descriptions and links to the most recent version of the syllabus.

  • Full-time registration is 12-18 credits. Only graduating senior BFAs may register for less than 12 credits. Over 18 must be approved by your adviser and will cost additional tuition and fees per credit.

  • BFAs should check your "Degree Progress Report" in Albert to track progress toward graduation. Be sure to look at Gen Eds, Game Design major requirements, and any minors.

  • If you're not sure who your adviser is, email Jessica or Kevin.



Every semester you will work with your faculty adviser to plan for the next term. Spring advising begins in mid-October and registration is in mid-November. Fall advising begins in mid-March, usually after spring break, and registration is in mid-April.

You should always go into your advising meeting prepared. Spend time looking at the class schedule in Albert and this website. Undergrads should pay attention to their "Degree Progress Report" and plan their schedule around required classes. When you meet you will discuss the various classes you may take in the next semester, and you can decide which are best for you given your goals as a student and after graduation. Your adviser may want to see a final class list before they clear you, which could be submitted via email or require a follow-up meeting.

Advising is not just about class registration. You can talk to your adviser about your plans after graduation, jobs and internships, or just about how things are going for you. You can also meet with your adviser outside of the registration period. Your adviser is here to help guide you on your path at NYU and the Game Center.


All class registration is done via Albert and the Student Center. You can search for classes and add them to your Shopping Cart in the weeks leading up to your registration appointment. Once you reach your appointment time, you will be able to move forward in the process and enroll in the classes. You want to make sure you have completed all three steps for registration, and see that you are fully enrolled or wait listed for the class. The Registrar has created several guides to using Albert on their website.

When adding your Game Center classes, you can use the schedule posted on this site and add classes directly to your shopping cart using the Class Number. Just be sure to re-validate the classes before your registration appointment, as the schedule can shift around sometimes.

If a class is full, you can choose to wait list. To do this you must check the wait list option when adding the class to your shopping cart. When you confirm your schedule you'll be notified of your position on the wait list, and will be notified via email if you make it into the class. If you're still on the wait list at the start of the semester, you can attend the first class and speak to the instructor about possibly getting in - it is at their discretion to over-enroll a class or not. Read through the Registrar guides to learn about the swap feature as well.

Advising Guide


Can I graduate yet? Read our Advising Guide for a list of classes, credit counts, and required courses (guide can be found above). Then, look up your Degree Progress Report in Albert to see where your credits are going. My Degree Progress Report is wrong / my AP or IB credits are missing / my transfer credits are missing. How do I fix it? Speak with Jessica or Kevin. Policies on AP and transfer credit can be found here.

  • AP/IB credit: maximum of 32 credits (max 8 general education credits + max 24 elective credits). For credit to be accepted, students must have scored 4 or 5 on the exam. Credit is not granted for the English Language, Human Geography, Studio Art, or Music Theory exams. All first years must still take the two Expository Writing classes, no matter what.

  • Transfer credit: bring your transcripts and syllabuses to Kevin or Jessica. All transfer students must still take one Expository Writing class, no matter what.

Can I register for an independent study with Game Center? You can try to ask a full-time faculty member to supervise your independent study, but keep in mind that they are often already busy with a full workload and/or other commitments. Your independent study proposal should be discussion-based or research-based; if it is project-based, you should enroll in Project Studio instead. Can I work a full-time job while I'm in school? We realize college is expensive, but we strongly recommend against having a full-time job while studying. You will be extremely stressed out, you will find group-work and collaboration to be difficult to manage and coordinate, and in most cases, your schoolwork will generally suffer. Can I be a part-time student? In most cases, no. Most financial aid also requires full-time student status. The one exception is your last semester -- if you have completed all your other degree requirements and have the sufficient credits to graduate, you might be able to take less than a full-time load (12-18 credits). Talk to Jessica or Kevin.

MFA Specific Questions

Can I take classes outside of Game Center? Yes, but you will need to work with the other department(s) to gain access to their classes. BFA Specific Questions

When can I study abroad? We recommend that students study abroad in their sophomore year since there are required studio courses in junior and senior year. Talk to your faculty advisor ASAP to plan ahead; you must apply months in advance, and currently, you can only get general education / elective credits from those classes. In most cases you can use your financial aid to pay for it, and believe it or not, some cities actually have cheaper living costs than New York City:

  • NYU Global Sites: these schools are run directly by NYU, the most streamlined and convenient option.

  • Partner Universities: schools that have international exchange student agreements with NYU.

Can I double major within Tisch? (for example: Cinema Studies, Dramatic Writing, Film and TV, etc.) It is possible, but you must complete another application, which could get rejected. Get the "Tisch Internal Double Major Application" form here. Can I double major in _____? (for example: Art History, Computer Science, Philosophy, Sociology, etc.) Tisch students can double major within the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS), see the list here. Just go to the department website, find the major requirements, and then e-mail them to setup an advising appointment. You must also complete the "Declaration of Second Major" form here. Can I double major outside of CAS or Tisch? (for example: in Stern or Steinhardt) As a policy, no. In extraordinary cases, exceptions may be granted. However, you can get a cross-school minor from almost any department at NYU. Can I get a minor in _____? Yes, just look up the requirements on the department website because each has their own procedure. A minor usually consists of 16 units (~4 courses) taken with that department. To declare, you may have to visit the department in-person or speak to their administrator. For departments outside of Tisch/CAS, you'll also have to complete the "cross-school minor form" in Albert. Common BFA Minors: